The Foundation for European Sustainable Tourism (FEST) aims to support governments, academies and organisations to plan, deliver and manage tourism programs and projects with sustainability. It focuses on three key factors for tourism success and competitiveness: governance, leadership and management. FEST promotes "Project Management for Sustainable Development" (PM4SD®) as best management practice for sustainable tourism. PM4SD is a project management methodology, based on PRINCE2, developed to design and implement tourism projects with sustainability in order to create long term benefits for destinations and local communities.
FEST wishes concretely contributes to the Europe2020 growth's strategy through the dissemination of PM4SD® methodology and the support to innovative and competitive sustainable projects.
We wish to thank the European Commission for having supported the development of PM4SD.
Please fell free to express your interest in PM4SD.
PM4SD: Managing Tourism with Success
This combination forms the basis of PM4SD «Project Management for European Sustainable Development», a new methodology for designing and managing tourism projects with success.
PM4SD is based on PRINCE2® (Projects In Controlled Environments), a structured method for effective project management, the “de facto” standard used extensively by the UK Government and widely recognised and used in the public and private sector, both in the UK and internationally. FEST has innovated and adapted PRINCE2® to the tourism sector, combining management aspects with sustainable tourism criteria and principles.
PM4SD applies whenever an organisation, whenever public or private, needs to plan and manage a sustainable tourism initiative. It provides a guarantee for public authorities that the project will be transformed into concrete actions with clearly defined roles and responsibilities and that these actions will have a real impact on local communities.
It helps governments and companies to plan transparently and not to forget that every action must have corresponding benefits. It is a practice to be adopted for participatory, transparent and effective management.
PM4SD has two different levels of qualification the Foundation and the Practitioner, and the certification body is APMG International.
The purpose of the Foundation qualification is to confirm that a candidate has sufficient knowledge and understanding of the PM4SD method to be able to work effectively with, or as a member of, a project management team working within an environment supporting PM4SD.
The purpose of the Practitioner qualification is to confirm whether the candidate knows how to apply and tailor PM4SD in a scenario situation. A successful Practitioner candidate will be able to start applying the method to a real project and to transfer the knowledge to his/her team.
The PM4SD Manual that describes the PM4SD methodology has been published by TSO the 30th Oct 2013. You can buy the manual directly through their website. We highly recommend to attend the PM4SD training course in order to apply the methodology. The training courses are organised by Accredited Training Organisations certified by APMG International.
Since January 2013, six PM4SD® Foundation Training Courses have been delivered in several European countries, and 1 training course in Jordan. So far more than 100 professionals are certified with the PM4SD Foundation level. If you wish to be certified in this methodology, please visit the PM4SD® website for more information on the training courses.
Become a Member of FEST
Join FEST and support our mission in implementing sustainable tourism projects and destinations, and create long term benefits.
To create a strong synergy and cooperation with the relevant tourism actors, we set up a membership program, open to all organisations that share the same principles as FEST and are entirely committed and dedicated to sustainable tourism. By becoming a corporate member, your organisation will directly raise awareness for the need to implement sustainable development in the tourism sector, contributing to the overcome of the great sustainability challenge: that sustainable tourism is not a special form of tourism, but that all forms of tourism must be sustainable.
You will have access to a variety of benefits that will help your organisation develop its products and projects, respecting the sustainable approach.
By becoming a member of FEST, you will provide crucial support in maintaining and updating our methodology, PM4SD™.
What are the Benefits?
At FEST, we thought about your needs as an organisation and designed a specific set of benefits to meet your needs:
- The use of the FEST logo membership
- Promote & Disseminate your organisation through FEST
- Networking Events & Capacity Building
- Free Professional Membership for 2 Employees
- Summer School Discount. 10% of fees for 2 representatives
- Apply to host the next Summer School or help us organise it
- Project Partner Search
- Receive our online newsletter 3 times a year
- Submit a project to be assessed by our experts
- Join our Webinars
- Take part in our webinars, focused on the implementation of sustainability and design successful tourism projects to receive funding
Our participatory approach includes different fees for different organisations:
|Up to 20 employees||€500,00|
|Between 21 and 40 employees||€700,00|
|Between 41 and 69 employees||€900,00|
|More than 70 employees||€1500,00|
Whether you are an individual or an organisation, you can become FEST Sponsor by donating €2500,00 or more to our cause.
FEST sponsorship will give you exclusive benefits and unique opportunities to play an active role in sustainable tourism.
You will enjoy significant exposure and be able to market your destination, company or product.
Get in touch with us to learn more about the sponsorship.
Why join FEST?
Network & Connect
You will be able to effectively connect with other fellow members, through our annual event, the Summer School in Leadership and Governance for Sustainable Tourism, and other smaller side events. Connect with relevant stakeholders, promote your actions and find the right partners for your projects.
Learn more about the policies that shape tourism sector and discover funding opportunities. Get the latest news and articles on sustainable tourism with our newsletter and register for our webinars. We can also assist you in preparing your next project. Additionally, you can contribute with your expertise to the maintenance of PM4SD™ and be part of the experts’ group.
Promote & Disseminate
Take advantage of our communication channels and show the world your latest achievements, whether it is a project, a product or an event.
You will have the ability to be involved in key decision making processes that will shape the work of FEST.
Commit to Sustainable Tourism
Show your commitment to sustainable tourism by associating your organisation with FEST and PM4SD™.
For more information on the membership,
please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Leadership and Management in Sustainable Tourism”
This Summer School is intended to be an annual event, organised in a different country every year, to bring together key stakeholders to discuss, exchange knowledge and present innovative projects in sustainable tourism. In July 2013, the first PM4SD® Summer School took place in Naples, Italy, under the main theme: “Leadership and Management in Sustainable Tourism”. The 2013 Summer School was organised under the T4EST – Training for European Sustainable Tourism EU funded project. The project partners were the Municipality of Frigento, Jlag, NECSTouR (Network of European Regions for a Sustainable and Competitive Tourism) and Leeds Metropolitan University.
The 2016 Summer School in Leadership and Governance for Sustainable Tourism is back for its 4th edition, hosted by Icelandic Tourist Board, it will take place at the Lonely Planet´s no 1 destination in Europe 2015: Akureyri, Iceland.
Quotes and Testimonials
During the last years many tourism projects and funds at European level have not created the desired impact. Many opportunities have been missed. A change is due, for transforming European natural and cultural resources in sustainable attractions.
I do wish that thanks to PM4ESD new project managers and policy makers will be trained to boost the tourism industry.
Gianni Pittella , Vice-President European Parliament
Project Management for European Sustainable Development (PM4ESD) would be an ideal management tool to be considered for Mediterranean Partner countries: adapted to local needs of both public sector authorities and private organisations, it could complement what has been accomplished through the Euromed Heritage Programme and instill a practice of participatory, transparent and “virtuous” management.
Christiane Dabdoub Nasser, Team Leader Euromed Heritage 4
I really found PM4SD® an interesting and very useful tool that we can apply in several domains of our lives, not only as a project manager, but even in small projects that we might engage with our students, for instance. As a tourism teacher, I found PM4SD® a methodology that can guide us in every project that we develop in our institutions. But, most of all, the thought that is behind this tool has a tremendous potential and can really facilitate our job. It is also important to mention the quality of Silvia and Xavier as PM4SD® trainers. It was definitely an intense and valuable training program that we had for three days in Alentejo region. Thank you for this opportunity!
Ana Isabel Rodrigues, Tourism Teacher at the Polytechnic Institute of Beja and one of the delegates of the Alentejo Foundation Training Course
Expressions of interest
PM4SD is based on best practices, we aim to collect and explore more and more practices in tourism management in order to continuously maintain and update the methodology . We wish to build synergies among various initiatives, experts and organizations around the theme of "sustainable tourism". We have already collected expressions of interest from almost 40 key players of the tourism sector. If you wish to connect with us please, fill in and send to us " FEST Expressions of interest Form ".
Have Already Expressed Interest
- Berufsförderungsinstitut - BFI
- Europe Direct Steiermark
- Tourismus Schulen Gleichenberg
- Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences
- Anci Campania
- Comunità Montana dell’Ufita
- Federturismo Confindustria
- Istituto Superiore sui Sistemi Territoriali per l'Innovazione (SITI) - Higher Institute on Territorial Systems for Innovation
- Molise University – Social Sciences Department
- Municipality of Flumeri
- Municipality of Greci
- Municipality of Grottaminarda
- Municipality of Montaguto
- Municipality of San Leucio del Sannio
- Municipality of Savignano Irpino
- Municipality of Scampitella
- Sistema Cilento scpa
- Touring Club Italiano
- University of Salerno – Faculty of Education
- Fundacja Wspierania Przedsiebiorczosci I Nauki
- Gimnazjum I Liceum Ogolnoksztalcace Umiejetnosci Tworczych
- Instytut Innowacji I Nowych Technologii Sp. Zo. O
- Instytut Postepowania Tworczego Sp. Zo. o
- Tomorrow Sp. Zo. O
- Asociatia Mioritics
- International Tourism Institute
- All Bus Companies and Operators Federation (TOF)
- Association of Turkish Travel Agencies (TURSAB)
- Istanbul Commerce University
- Ministry of Development (State Planning Organization)
- The Istanbul Convention & Visitors Bureau (ICVB)
- Turkish Airlines
- Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism
- European Development Days (EDD16): “Managing Natural and Cultural Attractions with a Sustainable Agenda”
- 16 June 2016
- Bruxelles, Belgium
- Sustainable Tourism: Policies for Delivering Social, Environmental and Economic Benefits in the Asia-Pacific Region
- 24-27 May 2016
- Jeju-do, Republic of Corea
- Fourth Annual Summer School – “Leadership and Management in Sustainable Tourism”
- 5 – 9 October 2016
- Akureyri, Iceland
- Third Annual Summer School – “Leadership and Management in Sustainable Tourism”
- 30 June – 3 July 2015
- Vitoria-Gasteiz (Spain)
- Second Annual Summer School – “Leadership and Management in Sustainable Tourism”
- 1-3 July 2014
- Seinäjoki (Finland)
- First Annual Summer School – “Leadership and Management in Sustainable Tourism: Professionalising Project Management”
- 8 – 12 July 2013
- Naples (Italy)
- Public Conference PM4SD®: Boosting the success of Tourism Projects 2014 – 2020
- September 2013
- Brussels (Belgium)
- First Technical Meeting for FEST
- September 2013
- Brussels (Belgium)
- Webinar : How to apply PM4SD® to a business plan
- 16 September 2013
- Brussels (Belgium)
- European Realities of Responsible Tourism
- 2 December 2013
- Brussels (Belgium)
- Second Annual Conference of the Global Partnership for Sustainable Tourism,
- 12 – 14 March 2012
- Seoul (Republic of Korea)
- Conference ‘Performance Measurement and Management in Tourism’ – Organised by the European Chapter of the Travel and Tourism Research Association
- 18-20 April 2012
- Bilbao (Spain)
- Webinar on PM4SD® - Organised by the Global Partnership for Sustainable Tourism
- 24 May 2012
- ERRIN - Tourism Working Group meeting
- 06 June 2012
- Brussels (Belgium)
- PRINCE2® Forum – Organised by QRP International
- 13 June 2012
- Rome (Italy)
- First Public Conference - Kick-Off Meeting of the Life Long Learning Project T4EST – Training for European Sustainable Tourism
- 13 – 14 November 2012
- Brussels (Belgium)